Friday, December 19, 2008

Barbara Kinsey Sable: Insomnia


We fight sleep
We, the insomniacs
Who use the dark to create
The fragile tendrils of daydreams.
That weave screens to seclude
Those worlds sacred to ourselves.
We lift our long fingers of thought
Into the deep blanket of night
That covers our singularities,
And we are alone.
Away from troubles, from demands,
And become what we wish to be;
Ourselves.
The image is of Claude Monet's Water Garden and the Japanese Footbridge from 1900.
I hope anyone passing through enjoyed this delightful poem. I was getting ready to put the computer on standby to do research or perhaps off, as I have indeed suffered from insomnia. The poem was found courtesy of the most important woman in my life-my mom!

4 comments:

Alex Robinson said...

Hi Devin
A wonderful poem indeed.

I hope you have managed to get some sleep along the way. It is warm & windy & very pleasant in Auckland today.

All the best

Devin said...

wise woman! As always love seeing you here! I really enjoyed this poem also. It has been a pleasant day here too,I am so glad you have had a nice day in Auckland! I would have slept like a rock last night-were it not for noisy neighbors again. I woke up at 1pm this afternoon and didnt feel very well at first-as the day has progressed got to feeling much better and now am hoping I will not be up all night again:-) It is about 11pm here sat so I am thinking it is 7pm on sunday there. I hope you have had a wonderful weekend and that work treats you well if you have to go back tomorrow-best to you and yours as always!

Middle Ditch said...

Such a lovely poem and it goes so well with that image.

Mu husband is a poet. He also has a programme 'So Here We Are; Poetic Letters From England' on Mipo radio. His link is on my blog. You might well want to visit it Devin.

Devin said...

Middle-thanks so very much for stopping by-I will definitely visit his place very soon if not tonight-I am somewhat 'flummoxed' about where to go with the next post and poetry helps my mind to relax as I enjoy so very much! Great to see you here and I hope you and all the cast at Middle Ditch have a wonderful,wonderful holiday-I cant wait for the next episode!