Saturday, August 1, 2009

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: The Day Is Done

The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.


I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist.
And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me
That my soul cannot resist:


A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
And resembles sorrow only
As the mist resembles the rain.


Come read to me some poem,
Some simple and heartfelt lay,
That shall soothe this restless feeling,
And banish the thoughts of day.


Not from the grand old masters,
Not from the bards sublime,
Whose distant footsteps echo
Through the corridors of Time.


For, like the strains of martial music,
Their mighty thoughts suggest
Life's endless toil and endeavor;
And tonight I long for rest.


Read from some humbler poet,
Whose songs gushed from his heart,
As showers from the clouds of summer,
Or tears from the eyelids start;


Who, through long days of labor,
And nights devoid of ease,
Still heard in his soul the music
Of wonderful melodies.


Such songs have power to quiet
The restless pulse of care,
And comes like the benediction
That follows after prayer.


Then read from the treasured volume
The poem of thy choice,
And lend to the rhyme of the poet
The beauty of thy voice.


And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares, that infest the day,
Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
And as silently steal away.


This is one of my mother and I's-me's ? (eyes:) favorite poems. I will also add a link for Mr. Longfellow Here Then I will give a link that goes to some of Stephen Morrissey's wonderful work Here I love both his poems, "Reincarnation" and "The Yoni Rocks." Some day I hope to have money to buy some of his books and benjibopper's work and others I either know or link to at MFM! The image is of the Triangulum Galaxy, also known as Messier 33 (M33). The galaxy is one of our closest galactic neighbors-about three million light-years away. So the light we see today from this galaxy left it almost three million years ago. It is a smaller mass spiral galaxy than either our own Milky Way (est 100 to 400 billion solar masses) or another neighbor even closer and more massive than our own galaxy-the Andromeda Galaxy (est 200 to 1 trillion solar masses)-astronomers think M33 has about 30 to 40 billion solar masses. Small but beautiful-link Here I hope everyone is having a beautiful weekend (and that my links and the poem don't need corrections this time:)-this is turning into quite a project! Peace and be well anyone stopping by!

5 comments:

Julie Ferguson said...

I love this poem. Thanks for posting it.
Julie

Justin R. said...

All I can say is: beutiful poem.

Devin said...

Thanks so much for stopping by Julie! I love it also-best to you as always!!

Justin thanks also for stopping by and so glad you enjoyed this poem!! all the best to you!!

Sharon Day said...

I love that poem, it soothes me so much. It almost puts me into theta state. I love the picture too. I always look at the sky at night and wonder what's out there now that we can't see because it just happened and is so distant we can't see it yet...

Devin said...

Autumnforest-thanks so much for stopping by and I am glad you enjoyed this-this poem is another one I can't believe I forgot all this time-sorry its taking awhile to get to people's blogs and comments (was in bed all day with back pain yesterday) and today doing better but sitting and typing not most comfortable position -there is a bit i had saved to drafts where 90 percent of the work is done that i could post today-will see how many breaks i need to take haha-best to you as always!!