Monday, June 1, 2009

Emily Dickinson & Stephen Crane

Emily Dickinson: The Soul Selects

The soul selects her own society,
Then shuts the door;
On her divine majority
Obtrude no more


Unmoved, she notes the chariots pausing
At her low gate;
Unmoved, an emperor is kneeling

Upon her mat


I've known her from an ample nation
Choose one;
Then close the valves of her attention
Like stone.


Stephen Crane: A Man Said To The Universe

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

Emily Dickinson information- Here
Stephen Crane information- Here


4 comments:

Nina said...

i love emily dickinson's poetry! i have a big book of it that i have yet to really read. reading this was a nice reminder. thank you for posting that. did you know she was agoraphobic (lived in her father's home after he died) and that her poetry didn't receive the real recognition it deserved until after her death? you may already know that but i didn't. at least that's what i read several years ago when i was really having this affinity for her and her work.

absolutely stunning pic of the universe. i could meditate on that for a long while!

Devin said...

Nina I am so glad you enjoyed this!! Of the few things I am aware of in life -I was aware of those facts about her-she was a fascinating woman although it would seem she led a rather sad life in some areas-awful that if memory serves only 4 of her poems were published in her lifetime-thanks still for commenting about these facts as other people may not be aware of them-I should have put a bit about both poets in the article but was too lazy and let wikipedia do it-all the best to you as always!!

Sharon Day said...

Those poems with the photographer were beautiful. I feel centered again. You always manage to bring me back to "self." Thanks!

Devin said...

Autumnforest -I am delighted you enjoyed this and that it helps you to get centered again! Poetry often does that for me when I think I am going out of my head-best to you as always and thanks for stopping by!!